Welcome!

A forum for talking about Jesus.

This is an opportunity for us to sharpen each other on God's Word. We each have unique perspectives about scripture and life and often just need a source to express beliefs, regrets, thoughts, and ideas about living!

This is that avenue for that expression and growth! A challenge for learning from each other and providing support to battle the flesh, triumph in Truth, and Praise the LORD for He has done great things!

If you would like to participate, email me and I'll add you to be an author.

Dominate the Day!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Authenticity, Sincerity, and Jennifer Knapp

I just read this interview yesterday and have been mulling it over since.

Since we all come from similar church backgrounds, I suspect that we all would tend to react in similar ways to an artist coming out of the closet. So this isn't a post about homosexuality and the church as much as it's a post about Jennifer Knapp. Mostly.

Some of you who know me well know that most Christian music at best bores me, and at worst infuriates me. There are plenty of exceptions, of course--my music library is stuffed full of albums I've listened to so much that the original CDs are hardly playable anymore--but in general my attitude toward Christian music is one of frustration. Frustration, because of how predictable it is. Frustration, because of how uncreative most of it sounds. Frustration, because, for a genre that professes to claim truth as its core value, so much of it comes across as insincere (or, if sincere, then sincerely out of touch).

But I always liked Jennifer Knapp. She was one of the better songwriters out there trying to fill the void left by the passing of Rich Mullins--"Undo Me" is a classic--and as I've gotten older, and come to appreciate folk and alt-folk music in a deeper way, my appreciation for her music has only grown.

So I count it as very good news that she's making music again, even if I doubt any of it will play in Christian music circles.

Which leads me to the discussion topic of the day. I know a lot of people who have been touched, encouraged, and convicted by her music (including me). I also know people who won't listen to her music again, because she's gay. I know that most of us value things like authenticity in our music, especially in Christian music, and Jennifer Knapp has long been one of those artists who has managed to write and play and perform with that sort of authenticity.

I can't imagine that any of the churches we've been to (or go to) would hold up Knapp, now, as a model of sincere faith and integrity... but there's a big part of me that finds that attitude to be problematic. Was it better when we didn't know she was gay? Was it more authentic and sincere then? What's the line we draw for our inspiration as followers of Jesus?

This is more of a discussion topic, like I said, than a question I want the answer to. I know, for me--and the extent to which this is true is an idiosyncrasy of mine--there is a broad array of things that have influenced my faith, and taught me about Jesus, and love, and grace, and compassion, and everything else. "Broad" meaning, truly, broad, coming from so many strange and unlikely sources, none of which I would throw out or wish to take back. I know, I'm a little (or more than a little) strange, but the arc of my life has always bent towards Jesus, and the things that have pointed me in that direction are sometimes spiritual, sometimes secular; sometimes beautiful, sometimes horrible; sometimes transcendent, sometimes simple; sometimes gentle, sometimes violent. I've been shaped by Henri Nouwen and C.S. Lewis and Rich Mullins, yes, but also by Nabokov and Dostoevsky and Dali and Picasso and T.S. Eliot and The Smashing Pumpkins and Nas. I've learned about freedom and lightness from Italo Calvino and Gabriel Garcia Marquez, about beauty and creativity from Christian Bok and Kim Hyesoon, about mercy from Paul Farmer, about integrity from bell hooks.

And, ultimately, this is how I interact with God: seeing him defined in (or in contrast to) the world around me, and coming to grips with both my own understanding and my own lack of understanding; seeing both his clarity and his mystery in those same things.

I'm just curious as to how the rest of you navigate the issue of inspiration, and all of those things, as it intersects with people and things that would be condemned by the church.

6 comments:

Jordan said...

I do not condemn her; unless she choices to be a part of the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 5). Then I judge her on the standard she has submitted to by calling herself a follower of Christ; which I am also submissive to.

I truly appreciate genuineness over lies any day. However, her words and deeds betray a lie. Can one be a disciple of Jesus and a disciple of homosexuality (or any other idols that is set up in place of the LORD- Matthew 6:24)? You serve one or the other, not both? The Lord is not mocked; he knows the truth of our heart’s content. Also, is not a tree known for its fruit (Matthew 12:33)?

That being said, I am not the Lord of Heaven. I am simply one of the created, similar to Knapp. I use scripture to guide my life; some are easy for me to believe/accept and live out, while others I rebel against, similar to Knapp and all creation.

In this case, she is condemned by the law as a lawbreaker if she breaks a command of God (James 2:8-11). Just like the rest of us.

Likewise, in the case of homosexual sin-not just the deed of homosexual sex, but homosexual lust/attraction as well. Matthew 5:21-48 Jesus sets a new standard; if you are angry with a brother, you shall be guilty of murder. If a man lusts after a woman, he has committed adultery with her in his heart. I would say that homosexual thoughts/desires are sin. The source of these thoughts is from God (Romans 1:26-31); why, is a whole another argument, see Romans 9:20; Job 38:12.

Romans 1:26-31 exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural. They did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer. God gave them over to a depraved mind. Though they know the ordinances of God, those that practice such things are worthy of death.
I Timothy 1:8-11 the law was made for those who are lawless and rebellious
I Corinthians 6:9-11 will inherit the kingdom of god listed

We all have a choice; once we are no longer ignorant of the truth, we decide who we serve. We accept Christ, obey His word, submit to His will, or rebel and disobey.

The difficulty over topics such as these is that often Christians respond through misguided hate and condemnation. Especially by Christians who believe they know the truth. This is truth, 1 Corinthians 8:1, Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies. Sadly, we use our knowledge to judge, not love. And often times once we see the truth of scripture we want to tell others “what’s up” and that they are not living truth, when in reality neither are we (Matthew 7:5). This however, does not mean we should not speak out against something that is wrong or evil.

This leads to the question, does not and should not the body of Christ only support certain artists, evangelists, authors, and other individuals because of their faith? And since, faith is validated by works (James 2:14-26), if a person’s actions do not conform to their words then they are not genuine or authentic.

Jordan said...

Am I truly a follower of Christ and his teachings while I am blatantly and willingly living contrary to His will (sin)? If I think so, then I deceive myself. Is this not what Knapp is doing? She is being authentic in her beliefs to herself; she is homosexual. She is not being authentic in her beliefs to God.

In this case, people see a sin that they consider the worst, or more horrible than others (such as homosexual sin or even this immorality- 1 Corinthians 5:1-2!). Since we do not struggle with it we condemn others and judge, becoming evil ourselves. However, this verse also illustrates a correct response “removed from you midst”. Read 1 Corinthians 5; is this not how we should treat a “so-called brother”. Vs.12 DO YOU NOT JUDGE THOSE WHO ARE WITHIN the church? Vs.13 But those who are outside, God judges.

The reality is we need to keep serving others, the lost; adulterers; murderers; thieves, etc. However, if a person claims to be a Christian, then that is admittance that they submit themselves to be judged by the body of Christ, scripture, and the will of God. And in love, should we not expel the wicked man/woman from among us?

Anonymous said...

Before anyone can asses the situation of Kapp, I must look at how it falls into place in Gods story. At this current moment in time, we stand between the atonement of the cross and the Restoration of the second coming. Gods purpose, as seen in Matthew 28 and Acts 1, is the redeeming of the world through his sending of the church. One will either contribute or hinder this purpose. As far as what you said Jordan about 'expel(ing) the wicked man/woman from among us' I disagree. I think we are all wicked, and that in expelling the wicked we would be left with no one in the church. But, as in all things, I see this not as a question of 'permissible' but as a question of 'beneficial'. I see this outwardly rebellious act as non-beneficial to Gods purposes in furthering the church. God will set apart his church for his purpose, things that get in the way of that will be removed.

Jordan said...

I did not say it, those were Paul's words in I Corinthians 5:13 (his response to open rebellion between the atonement of the cross and Restoration of the Second coming).

As a non-beneficial rebellious act, what is the body of Christ suppose to do? If that is a member (volunteer, regular-attender) of the church or a leader (pastor, worship leader, elder) of the church, who is in the act of outward rebellion? How do we act/what do we do?

Kyle Smith said...

There is truth in almost everything, however it is ultimately incomplete and utterly worthless if it is note paired with the Gospel. Amen.

Kyle Smith said...

not*

Post a Comment